The forums of the FRAG LAN
It is currently 21 Nov 2018, 07:34

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Thoughts and suggestions
PostPosted: 04 Jul 2012, 17:45 
FRAG Founder
FRAG Founder

Right.

First off -- long time, no see folks. To answer the most obvious question, yes, I'm still alive, Cape Town is treating me well, and Web Africa offering uncapped is definitely no longer "unsustainable" (lead developer on that project). ;)

Now that the pleasantries and formalities are out of the way, on to business.

I haven't kept in touch with what's been going on with the LAN since my move to the non-ANC province, but a recent article on Do Gaming pretty much told me the entire story: in the interceding years, the LAN has pretty much been run into the ground and currently has an extremely uncertain future. Now, I'm not here to bash anyone in particular (well, too much!), mainly to offer my own input and suggestions on how to get out of the hole that the LAN has dug itself.

I can pretty much sum up the below simply as follows: get the LAN back to its roots.

The LAN pretty much started out as a small 5-man event in my parents' double-garage in 2007, and we decided to explore expanding it further. A few months later, it had outgrown both our imaginings, and the resources of those involved; that's when James came onboard and took it further, and eventually took it over. The only problem was that James seemed to be far more interested in the bottom line than gamer satisfaction, and I guess you all know the rest. (Even I struggled working with him at times, although to be fair, my opinion on things was always taken into serious consideration.)

However, the great thing about those early days was the camaraderie that existed between the event organisers and attendees at the time. The early goal was simply to provide a social event for people to just go and enjoy themselves for the weekend, and we managed that really well. It was easy for us because there was nothing else at the time -- UberLAN had recently shut up shop, and Vendetta started at roughly the same time (and went for a little while until James managed to sabotage that effort). From the sounds of things, that's all but disappeared, with the organiser goals and attendee expectations being totally at odds. That needs to change.

I don't buy the opinion that "LAN gaming is dying"; despite the always-online requirements of this day and age (which I don't necessarily approve of, but that's a different story), there are still times and places for us folk to pack up our PCs, head off somewhere for a weekend, and kill players with the gauntlet while holding the BFG (yes, I was on the receiving end!). But it needs to be done right. If you need an example to model yourselves off of, one need look no further than Organised Chaos in this part of the world -- the primary objective there is for the attendees to have a great time, everything else is secondary. (I have contacts within OC management, so if you'd like me to facilitate any kind of knowledge sharing, I'd be happy to help.)

I do think that Doug has the right idea; he's trying to focus on becoming more gamer-centric while weeding out the seedier elements and getting the event back to what it should be. Thing is, he is going to need your help -- if you guys want LAN gaming in Durban to survive, it's up to the entire Durban gaming community to seize the initiative and get things back to where they should be. It's going to be a long and hard process, but if everyone pulls in, it's definitely possible.

Over to you guys.

Post subject: Re: Thoughts and suggestions
PostPosted: 04 Jul 2012, 18:14 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Ron2K wrote:
I can pretty much sum up the below simply as follows: get the LAN back to its roots.

Ron2K wrote:
I do think that Doug has the right idea; he's trying to focus on becoming more gamer-centric while weeding out the seedier elements and getting the event back to what it should be.

I agree 100% with above. Gamers want to feel like they are the priority and not just another bank note through the door. I used to go to FRAG for the weekend, come home and totally forget to even leech anything.

I believe Doug can get the LAN back to what it was and so I'll be attending FRAG again soon (when possibru).

-Russ

Post subject: Re: Thoughts and suggestions
PostPosted: 10 Aug 2012, 13:46 
LAN Admin Team Member
LAN Admin Team Member

Hey Ronnie old chap! Not that you old... haha.

Thanks for the words dude. Hopefully we can get things back to the glory days. Just need to make it worthwhile and for the gamers to put in the effort.

Unfortunately, there are many gamers out there that only attend LAN's to win something, prob cos spending quality time with mates and having fun is not enough.. :(

Keep an eye out here, it's going to be a slow-road back, but we'll get there i'm sure...

Shot for checking Ron2k!! Original FRAG'ger of note!!