FRAG Forums

The forums of the FRAG LAN
It is currently 31 May 2020, 09:35

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Same prizes plz
PostPosted: 04 Jul 2009, 13:35 
Sergeant
Sergeant

ok i know you will probably say its hard or something but when a team of 5 get 3 hard drives and the other 2 get cd roms its a bit unfair i mean you know wat goes through that persons mind or wat they feel like i suggest that the teams that come 1st get the same prizes and the teams that come 2nd get the same prizes its the best way because i mean a few of my mates dont really want to come back to frag because of the random prizes that you have to fight over i think it is only best to have the same prizes so there is no fighting and so on please really look into this as it is a major issue . . .

kind regards Brent Freeman aka the_dax

I am DaXa "meaning univers, suns rays and all things wonderful" quoted from a pastor

Post subject: Re: Same prizes plz
PostPosted: 04 Jul 2009, 13:40 
Major General
Major General

L2usepunctuation pls brent. Altho wat u saying is tru and i fully agree, most times frag prob dont hav a say as they give wateva sponsors give them.

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2009, 13:46 
LAN Owner
LAN Owner

took the word out of my mouth we got no control with prizes what so ever to give you an idea last lan Frag bought the all the 250 gig drives the Dvd writer where sponsored, We got no control my suggestion is for you guys to lobby with sponsors but understand Frag still has the best prizes in the country with regards to Lan. When I told mayhem and the lair what prizes Frag had got they could believe me.

http://www.pe-Tourism.com/

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2009, 13:49 
LAN Owner
LAN Owner

Also if I can add something I dunno what the prizes until literally the day before the lan. I given an idea a week before the lan but that not normally the final list

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2009, 15:07 
Captain
Captain

Those are good points James. But from the sponsor prospective is they get free advertising at the LAN and they generate sales of their products from the gamers that attend even if a few gamers buy from lestech or omega or intel or msi or LG or samsung products .

In the long run the sponsors make more out of the LAN than the prizes they sponsor.

This sort of thing is tribute to guerrilla marketing and is selling point for sponsors to donate to these events and they get points from their suppliers to so these things so they get cheaper stock in large quantity's.

The main point is the sponsors can supply 5 x of what ever they are .

If you were to get Rectron or incredible connection or sahara to sponsor Omega will soon realize they need to make the gamers happy and supply enough prizes in quantity's of 5 .

James if the gamers are not happy with the sponsor then the sponsor needs to change or they need to come ot the party.

Im sure Rectron and incredible and Sahara wont mind sponsoring the event if it generates more sales for them and they get free advertising.

That my view

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2009, 15:13 
Corporal
Corporal

I can see ur side of the story... But taking the last lan as an example u had 6 hard drives y not just keep one for the next lan and give 5 of them to the winners of the cod or dotA.
U could ether keep the prizes for the next lan of if u not alowed or don't want to u could have free for all's or some other single player comp and give the prizes away like that.

If the 5 hard drives (which is a good prize) goes to DotA one frag then the next time u have 5 prizes u can give it to the cod winners or some such idea.

[DF]Leyzer

[EDIT] +1 to A_Jax just say 5 or nothing!! i would rather have no prizes then lose a friendship with infighting

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2009, 17:10 
Sergeant
Sergeant

L2 Split prizes for each lan... If you have a solid team that always plays together, just keep tabs on who got the nice prize last time and then next time the guy with the not so great prize gets a nice prize...

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2009, 20:15 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Dablackgobbo wrote:
[EDIT] +1 to A_Jax just say 5 or nothing!! i would rather have no prizes then lose a friendship with infighting

Thats silly. Rather let your friend take the better prize? That way u still get a prize and keep your friendship. If your friend gets emo with you cause your prize is better then that person isn't really such a good friend :s

Here's my idea. Lets say 3 DVD-ROM's and 2 HDD's are sponsored for DotA. Why doesn't frag just keep the HDD's aside and buy 2 more DVD-ROM's so that the prizes are fair, then when u get 3 HDD's and 2 DVD-ROM's... Well, i'm sure you get where i'm going with this...

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2009, 22:20 
LAN Owner
LAN Owner

guys understand I try my best to get the same prize throughout but unfortunely it does not happen we try our best to give you an idea I spend a good 1 to 1h30 a day with sponsors I lobbyed with them begged and it beter to get 1 prize out of them than nothing I know it does not make gamers happy but what do you want nothing or something.

Also with regards to keeping prizes I cannot do that because then sponsor say well last lan you only needed 5 this lan I only giving 5 and also the next lan might be sponsored by another sponsor that sponsor not going to want competetor prooducts as his event.

Guys please think very carefully before lashing out us with regards to sponsors it not an easy job at all to get stuff from especially with the recession and budget cuts the first place they cut is sponsorships

one last thing guys to remember a compnay like Rectron marketing budget has been been cut in half and half again meaning if last year they spent 1 million this year they spending R250 000 and also the gamers market in pc terms is small part market where companys make money off gamers is selling value added product like fan and fan controllers on the general stuff the margin is small and the gaming side in real terms is small as opposed to the business side of pc`s

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2009, 23:23 
Sergeant
Sergeant

ok I'm only suggesting idea's here but as far as i can remember the one lan there was a 9800gt or something like that with the cost of that cant they replace it and rather put 5 x 500g hard drives will cost almost the same i think will work out cheaper for the sponsors . also you can approach the sponsors earlyier and request 5 x what ever they will give you there is no harm in asking politely " the gamers have suggested that they would like 5 x what ever the prize may be so there is no conflict amoungst the players " i don't know how you would put it but its only an idea to make the gamers happier + advertise on the frag site put links advertise on other sites for them as well , i haven't seen much advertising at frag like it used to be i mean i used to come in early on the friday to help set up and it took me at least 2-3 hours just to put the advertising up , if i were a sponsor that would be exactly what i would look for in a event , is my company/product being advertised well , is the advert visible and has something at least been said about my company/product its the small things that makes sponsors "sponsors" i mean for paintball im sponsored by coca cola and they happy with me as long as i drink 1 coke a game :D its all good the small things always show the best interests :D anyway , just aproch them early and request 5 of the same thing even if it is 5 x 500 gig hd's rather than a 1 Tb hd + 3 500 gig hd's and 1 17' lcd the 5 x 500gig hd's will work out cheaper for them . anyway im off to bed nyt everyone

Kind regards : Brent Freeman

I am DaXa "meaning univers, suns rays and all things wonderful" quoted from a pastor

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2009, 23:56 
Captain
Captain

Hi james

Dude i apologize for my comment but i did not mean to sound condescending and as harsh as it was.

Sponsors are flexible . Also they should not be begged to sponsor , i would jump to the opportunity to sponsor if my company was to be seen by 300+ ppl..

Ideas to help sponsors get more advertising

I.E : Try get the frag lans in the local papers as weekend highlight or entertainment , there are local papers like the highway mail and a few other that i cant seem to remember.

: Have sponsors come give a 30 min talk on their products they offer. ( For me that would be good cause i work in the I.T industry and i sell computers to clients , if thier product is good ill sign up as a dealer , my company does software support and we sell few computers but we do sell .

:There are alot of guys that go their that are in the I.T industry and word of mouth is the best advertising any company can get . (In my mind the more they sponsor the better my opinion of them is and ill sell their computers to my clients.)

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2009, 12:16 
Major General
Major General

A_jax Frag does not have to advertise. thats why we(the spammers) post on all the forums. cmon man geez

PC: I7 950, MSI X58 PRO - E, 12GB Kingston DDR3,XFX 5850, Gigabyte ODIN 720W, Gigabyte X8, Warboard, x7 Laser gaming Brilliance, Logitech X-530, Logitech G330.

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2009, 14:16 
LAN Owner
LAN Owner

TWAKKIE wrote:
A_jax Frag does not have to advertise. thats why we(the spammers) post on all the forums. cmon man geez

What do you mean I spend nearly R2000 an event advertsing in form of posters nag ads last year for the showcase I spend close on R25 000. We advertise on forums eg system shock. Most matrix computer normally have a Frag Poster in them. We try get to school and anywhere we can. intially its how people found out about us know alot is word of mouth and you spammers on the forums I know of at least 6 people last lan that heard about us through my spammers on the forums. No dont get me wrong we do advertise just finding the right place to advertise is hard.

Last year we did an ad in the Sunday Tribute and it was a waist of money as we only got 1 phone call about the lan through it. But Nag was excellent for the Showcase as it got people there in Jan an Feb as well.

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2009, 18:46 
Major General
Major General

Hey James I was actually joking. Cmon you know how I am. I know you try everything to get FRAG on the map and I admire that and so does most of the people. well I hope :P

PC: I7 950, MSI X58 PRO - E, 12GB Kingston DDR3,XFX 5850, Gigabyte ODIN 720W, Gigabyte X8, Warboard, x7 Laser gaming Brilliance, Logitech X-530, Logitech G330.

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2009, 08:38 
LAN Admin Team Member
LAN Admin Team Member

yeah, same prizes for each team member for the WIN!!!! that would be imba!..

but, in a real-world situation, it doesn't always work like that...

yes, we try our very best to get the best prizes and the best sponsorship and we do everything we can to make it as fair as possible... however, unfortunately this doesn't always happen. Sponsors tend to give a variety of products, why, so they can advertise what products they have...

now, to be very honest, and soz if this hurts, but if you and a mate end up fighting about a prize that was won at a lan, then well, rather don't be friends... :arrow:

FRAG has and will do everything we can to get the best, most fair, most balanced and most uber prizes on a monthly basis that no other lan or gamer has seen in the country. while we don't get it right all the time, we do get it right most of the time...

as for:
A_jax wrote:
If you were to get Rectron or incredible connection or sahara to sponsor Omega will soon realize they need to make the gamers happy and supply enough prizes in quantity's of 5 .

James if the gamers are not happy with the sponsor then the sponsor needs to change or they need to come ot the party.

Im sure Rectron and incredible and Sahara wont mind sponsoring the event if it generates more sales for them and they get free advertising.

well, please try get sponsorship from Incredible, i dare you. Unless you work for them (which someone does and might be able to help) you won't get far. As for Sahara - um, ja, good luck. Then compare Omega vs Rectron - Rectron got burnt badly with Vendetta and vice versa and Rectron tbh has not come to the party like Omega has. If we have to total up the amounts from past lans and average them on the amount of lans that they have each sponsored, Rectron has sponsored perhaps 15% of what Omega has sponsored. Nuff said.

Guys - we are doing the best that we can - as James also mentioned the economy is only now starting to make a slight comeback, until then, we have to make do with what we get.