FRAG Forums

The forums of the FRAG LAN
It is currently 27 Jan 2021, 03:03

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Bringing our own X-Box?
PostPosted: 30 Jul 2009, 07:55 
Website Team Member
Website Team Member

Front page says we could bring our own X-Box to the LAN. How would this work exactly? I would assume we need a TV as well? Then a power connection for both the X-Box & TV... Plus the idea would be to LAN the thing, where's the space for that? What would we be playing? Gears 2? Is it somthing included in the Maxima fee of R 50 or the regular LAN fee of R 120?

I'm sorry if this was all made clear in other posts, but I couldn't find anything (maybe I just didn't look hard enough - I have been out of it for quite a while, please excuse me)

Last defiled by The_Q? on Quesday, 13:37, edited -1.5 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Bringing our own X-Box?
PostPosted: 30 Jul 2009, 08:32 
LAN Owner
LAN Owner

Frag will provide power for the xbox + Tv you can bring your pc and xbox and still pay R120 however if you play in the xbox comps which is maxima side your pay the extra money. Shoud you only bring the xbox the price is still R120 as frag cost is basist on per plug point and per network point. This is subject to change but it is how it stand until further notice.

Shoud you only bring the xbox the price is still R120

yes you must bring you own TV

http://www.pe-Tourism.com/

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2009, 10:11 
Website Team Member
Website Team Member

Ok. Cool. So we bring our X-Box and become part of the regular LAN @ R 120. The R 50 fee is a maXima tournament fee. Thanks for clearing that up! Though I do think it might need a slight revision in future as R 120 for an X-Box only is a little steep (with a PC you have the ability to leech stuff also which substantiates the price)

I''m considering brining my X-Box along, but who's going to do the same & what will we be playing? If there isn't anyone else doing it, it's pretty pointless for me alone. Maxima X-Box's will be there exclusively for the tournaments so they're not gonna be a part of the general LAN...

Anyone else considering bringing their X-Boxes?

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2009, 10:26 
Major General
Major General

Ill bring my xbox if i get my AV cable
but ill play on ur xbox The_Q? :P if u really need ppl to play with :P

PC: I7 950, MSI X58 PRO - E, 12GB Kingston DDR3,XFX 5850, Gigabyte ODIN 720W, Gigabyte X8, Warboard, x7 Laser gaming Brilliance, Logitech X-530, Logitech G330.

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2009, 12:24 
Website Team Member
Website Team Member

And you're welcome to buddy, but we'd only play street fighter which we'd be getting to play all LAN anyway during the maXima tourney. I was thinking about a more LANable game... Like gears of war!

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2009, 12:43 
Major General
Major General

I can always bring WWE its fun or my other fighting games i have. :Pand ill prob play sf4 on my pc as the pc version is much better

PC: I7 950, MSI X58 PRO - E, 12GB Kingston DDR3,XFX 5850, Gigabyte ODIN 720W, Gigabyte X8, Warboard, x7 Laser gaming Brilliance, Logitech X-530, Logitech G330.

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2009, 12:55 
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

And please can ppl bring earphones for their TV's. We don't want to listen to what other ppl are playing, during comps it gets distracting.

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2009, 13:17 
Major General
Major General

Whatever crit you just cant play can u :P

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2009, 14:44 
Website Team Member
Website Team Member

Oi! Forgot about headphones... Plus my TV is quite large to carry... Hmmm... Looks like I'll just stick to the compos.

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2009, 14:57 
LAN Owner
LAN Owner

With regards to price. It actually more expensive for me to power Tv than Pc because with Tv. I have to use earth leakage and they are dam expensive. Right know the TV will run off the mains which is fine but as soon as the number of xbox increase I got to build a DB board specificailly for xbox and earth leakages that have the correct rating are like R3500 each that 0.3 not a 0.03 earth leakage.

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2009, 15:10 
Website Team Member
Website Team Member

Understandable James, but the benefit for an X-Box lanner is far less than a PC lanner would get. For R 120 a PC gamer gets the ability to game as well as leech (and leeching is one of the main reasons people attend the LANs) whereas X-Box gamers for the same R 120 are only able to game.

There must be a way around it to make it attractive to X-Box gamers?

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2009, 17:35 
LAN Owner
LAN Owner

I am open to suggestion but the bottom line is it cost R11 000 more to supple xbox power as opposed to pc power and this is due to having to buy 3 earth leakage which pc dont require thats why I not charging any extra for guys to bring there xbox at the moment due me being able to getway because of low demand with 0.03 earth leakage as oposed to a 0.3. But yeh if I got to build a DB to power xbox the cost is almost R25 000

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2009, 07:30 
Website Team Member
Website Team Member

Is that the X-Box & the TV power requirement @ 0.3? Or just the X-Box? If it's both then would removing the TV from the equation reduce the power requirements?

Perhaps if we all output to regular monitors instead, we'd save power & a lower fee could be more plausible? Though the problem here is that most guys won't have the VGA/DVI adapter for the x-box. Plus you wont be able to play with sound if you do. Double drat.

I just don't see the reward vs. the cost here...

Besides how many people are planning on actually bringing their own X-box & TV? Has FRAG run a poll about this? If there ends up being only 2 or 3 it's not worth it for the actual player imo. At least 6 I'd reckon would be sufficient.

Plus I'm still a newbie at the X-Box LAN thing, but don't we each need to have a copy of the game we'd like to LAN? What if we all rock up & there's not enough copies of a game to go around? Perhaps there needs to be a poll for this...

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2009, 10:54 
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

wow all i can tell from this is, XBox is so expensive just running it at a Lan and then you guys have to worry about how much copies to have to play a good game.

OMW I am just glad I dont own a Xbox any more, just a money milker

But i have seen ppl connect there Xbox's to PC and run stuff from PC to Xbox on so on, cant you guys do that?

but I might just be triping again :lol:

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2009, 11:23 
Website Team Member
Website Team Member

I believe you can only swap media from your PC to an X-Box if you're running windows media center. However, I doubt you can actually play games across LAN with other PCs...